Topic: Stress Management for ADHD Adults
January 3rd 2012 Meeting Notes for the Vancouver Adult ADD Support
Return to Vancouver
Adult ADD Support Group Previous Notes Page
If you find this page useful, please share it.
Facilitator: Pete Quily
The topic for this meeting was Stress Management for ADHD Adults.
Thanks to Josh for taking the notes
Books: "Taming Your Gremlin"
Terms to look up:
1. Cognitive distortions
Quick note about meeting: Most of the answers to questions were given by the group, so certainly not a definitive list, was just a discussion. The sites listed on terms to look up (right up above) are just ones I quickly searched out.
Question asked at beginning:
What things do you do on a daily basis to reduce you general level of stress?
Effects of Stress on ADHD:
1. Going blank
2. Same mistakes over
4. Self pity
5. Lashing out
7. Decreased focus
9. Memory problems
10. Low self esteem
11. Guilt and shame
Map out your stressors and how the stress cycle works for you.
Down sides to stress:
1. View point
2. Daily practice
3. In the moment
Positive Aspects to Stress:
2. Take action
3. Initiate thinking/activity
4. Get stuff done/fuel
5. makes you stronger
6. See the big picture (great in crisis)
7. Can plan in advance for many things
Daily Practice to Reduce Stress Levels:
1. Reduce the stress not numb it
5. Planning a realistic to-do list (the day before)
6. Respect your energy levels
7. Creative outlet
8. Good conversation
9. Extrovert/introvert food (know if you are an extrovert or introvert and do things that feed your personality)
10. Yoga and meditation
11. ADHD medication (properly used)
12. Ask yourself often what you did well
13. Be grateful of what you have
14. Differentiating between needs and wants (this will help your focus your planning and use of time)
Acceptance: "pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"
How can I actually do them:
3. Water and oxygen
4. Regular breaks
5. Get curious
6. Be specific
Questions asked at end of session:
What will you do?
When will you do it?
How will you remember to do it?