Topic: ADHD and Motivation
July 25th, 2006 Meeting Notes for the Vancouver Adult ADD Support Group
Return to Vancouver Adult ADD Support Group Previous Notes Page
Facilitator: Pete Quily
also my adult
add blog post for some questions on ADD and getting motivated.
to Derek for taking the notes and passing them on.
talked about how it might be useful to create a list of some
tasks that you're motivated to do because it's enjoyable.
Then find ways to apply or modify them to tasks you're not
easily motivated to do to increase your level of motivation,
and likelyhood of completion.
Ingredients of an enjoyable task:
1. fast paced
4. sense of purpose
5. human interaction
6. feedback from people or situation
7. produce tangible result
8. satisfaction with result
9. realistic-not stressful
11. sensory tactile stimulation
14. task breakdown to manageable parts
15. list things that bother you in order to unload them from
16. challenge of engaging analytical abilities
17. pleasure of positive feedback
then talked about tasks that you don't feel motivated to do
and listed some ways to transform these tasks to increase
your level of motivation, and likelyhood of completion.
need of self-awareness
2. intersperse boring/non-boring tasks
3. break task into small tasks
4. have definable goal
5. schedule reward first/then the task
6. acknowledge newness of strategy on old task
7. engage kiss principle
8. decide what is important about the task
9. involve someone else with the task
10. use methods that work for you